Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Ambassadors Of Death (1970) Review




"Doctor, suppose more renegade Time Lords find their way here?"
"As long as they're not played by Michelle Gomez, you'll be fine."


The Ambassadors Of Death
is an excellent story of complex political intrigue and humanity's first properly real venture into the alien(until they started doing it every Christmas).

PLOT

After three astronauts disappear during a space mission, the Doctor and his allies begin to investigate, but uncover a web of questions and deceit. How can UNIT succeed when London itself appears to be the villain?

I adored the mysteries, the way that the story introduces red herring after red herring and the baffling events that make no sense out of context. The way the mystery of the astronauts is maintained for so long and how the aliens themselves are truly incomprehensible.

If I had any complaints, it's that the story never reveals what happens to the alien spaceship after the Ambassadors return. The immediate threat is over, but the Doctor just leaves. Perhaps it's right to let humanity take their first step alone, by it's deeply unsatisfying when the credits roll.

Also, even though the slowness works very well in this story, I do think it could've lost an episode easily.

CHARACTERS

Jon Pertwee's Third Doctor has calmed down after the unpleasant performance in The Silurians and he seems to have settled well into the role. He plays the Doctor very passively, unlike the previous larger-than-life portrayals. However, he is charming and very competent and I rather like him.

I've also grown fond of Liz Shaw and her standing as the Doctor's intellectual equal and assistant. This is what the Capaldi/Clara relationship should've and could've been like. There's a strong mutual respect and understanding between the two characters.

The Brigadier shines as well, particularly in the scenes with General Carrington. His pragmatic and morally-sound yet fallible character is a fantastic role model.

Benton's re-appeareance is very low-key. If I hadn't known the character beforehand, I doubt I would even have noticed or remembered him.

The guest characters are all strong and make an instant impression, like the strange Space Centre Controller(who keeps staring into the distance - I call it unique), the funny French guy(who was so nice he fooled me twice), the Ministry guy who just wants everything to work out on its own and the mad General Carrington.

The whole cast is very solid, I must say.

NOTES

*What the heck is up with that transmogrification trick? Why doesn't he do it all the time?

*Very nice to see the TARDIS console again. Also, I see the new production team figured out how to turn it on.

*It took a bit to grow on me, but the new, experimental title sequence is pretty cool.

*However, I hope they finally calm down with those.

*If the Doctor hadn't referred to it as a force field(yet another bizarre use of the term), I would've thought his anti-theft mechanism was related to that magnetic chair he had, remember that?

*What in-story reason does the Doctor have for taking his console outside the TARDIS itself? I mean, wouldn't it be easier to work with inside?

BEST QUOTE

"It was my moral duty. You do understand, don't you?"

CONCLUSION

Our first true Jon Pertwee classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment